Monday, January 13, 2014

Pandora's Box


"What is Pandora's box?" This was the question I posed to a family member not even one week ago from today without receiving much returned explanation. Without further thinking about this, I went to work last Thursday and a female co-worker made mention of Pandora's box. Again, I had to ask, "What is Pandora's box?" Well, Google seemed liked a quick, logical answer to both my coworker and me, as we were to be doing our jobs. Our quick research lead us to understand that Pandora's box is related to Greek mythology. Pandora was given a box that she was instructed to not open. Curiosity got the best of her and when she did open the box, evil escaped and spread over the earth. 

Furthermore, yesterday I sat in church yearning to hear what message God had in store for me and boy did my ears perk up when my pastor mentioned none other than... Pandora's box! She too explained the back story of the myth but mentioned one detail I hadn't read when my coworker and I had "Googled" Pandora's box. Yes, evil did escape when Pandora opened the box, but one thing remained in the box… HOPE! 

Immediately after hearing about Pandora's box for the the third time in less than one week, it became apparent to me that God was trying to teach me a lesson that I just was not getting. 

Now for this public announcement, please realize I really struggle with anxiety and worry; I struggle so much with this that a doctor recently informed me that he thinks stress and worry are causing me to have ulcers; therefore, I have been incessantly praying to learn how to overcome worry, anxiety, and fear and delving into scripture that teaches me how to do this. I've also been asking God to make it clearly evident to me what I'm to learn. {Please don't quit reading yet!}

At 4:30 this morning, I woke, unable to sleep and picked up my devotional and decided it was time to study and seek answers to why Greek mythology had anything to do with what God wanted me to learn at this particular time in my life and about one hour into my studying time, these words glared at me from their page and answered my question so clearly I again started crying…

"Hope produces true happiness because hope believes anything is possible. Hope doesn't despair; it doesn't doubt; it believes. Trust God with your life and trust his Word, and you will have more happiness than you know what to do with. (from the pages of God Girl by Hayley DiMarco) 

You see, God has revealed to me through today's "research" that anxiety, fear,  doubt, and lack of trust in Him is a sin and is unhealthy. It keeps us distanced from him and from experiencing true happiness and hope. Sure, I have moments of happiness but they are so precarious I want more and I'm sure you do too! We must be willing to put absolutely all of our hope and trust in God because he is the ONLY thing we have that IS the answer (just like hope was the only thing left in Pandora's box). 

Trust God today and be hopeful, as hopefulness results in happiness. Let go of your fears and rest in God's all-knowing ability as he reminds us in Jeremiah 29:11, "I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord. These are plans for peace and not disaster, plans to give you a future filled with HOPE." 

Now, two years ago I was given the beginning parts of a Pandora charm bracelet from my grandparents. I took an immediate liking to it in that I could buy and receive charms representing moments in my life I found to be memorable. Well, golly-gee! God works in mysterious ways. A week and a half ago I got my bracelet resized because it was entirely too large for my wrist and prevented me from wearing it and getting good use of it. Well, I'll never go a day without wearing my Pandora bracelet and not remembering to be hopeful and to trust in my creator who will lead me to happiness! 
#GodMoment


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you're thinking! I love connecting with my readers. Thanks.